Watermelon contains vitamin A, B6 and C, calcium, magnesium, fibre, protein, potassium, niacin, thiamin, and a wide variety of carotenoids and phytonutrients, including lycopene.
Vitamin C – 13%
Vitamin A – 11%
Carbohydrate – 3%
Fibre – 2%
Calories – 2%
Thiamin – 2%
Magnesium – 2%
Manganese – 2%
The health benefits of watermelon include-
- Reduces the risk of kidney disorders – Watermelons contain a lot of potassium, which is very helpful in cleaning or washing out the toxins in the kidney. It also reduces uric acid in the blood, which reduces the chances of kidney damage and the formation of renal calculi in that organ. Since it contains high water content, it induces frequent urination which helps clean the kidneys.
- Aids in lowering high blood pressure- it contains potassium and magnesium which brings down blood pressure. The carotenoids in watermelon also prevent hardening of artery walls and veins, which helps to reduce blood pressure, blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, and atherosclerosis
- Helps prevent cancer – it has lycopene which is being linked to cancer prevention such as prostate, breast, colon, lung, and endometrial cancer.
- Helps lower blood sugar levels in diabetics – the various vitamins and minerals such as potassium and magnesium help in proper functioning of insulin in the body, thus lowering the blood sugar level. Arginine, another component found in watermelons, is very effective at enhancing the impact of insulin on blood sugar.
- Prevention of heart disease- Lycopene improves cardiac functions which is found in watermelon. Beta carotene, known for its remarkable antioxidant and anti-aging properties, also keeps you young at heart and prevents age-related cardiac problems.
- Helps prevent heat stroke- Watermelon is effective in reducing both your body temperature and blood pressure.The high amount of water contained in watermelon also stimulates a release of excess liquid in the form of sweat, which cools your body further during hot summer days.
- Protects eyes from macular degeneration- contains beta carotene, vitamin-C, lutein, and zeaxanthin which protects the eyes. They will ensure protection of your eyes from age-related blindness and degeneration, and these antioxidants will protect your eyes from other age-related ailments such as drying up of eyes and optical nerves, as well as glaucoma.
- Beneficial in curing erectile dysfunction- Arginine which is present in watermelon, helps cure impotency
- Reduce signs of premature aging like wrinkles and age spots on the skin
- Effective in repairing damaged tissues- Lypocene is found to be effective in repairing damaged tissues. Watermelons also contain phytonutrients which have very good effects on the health and proper functioning of internal organs, eyes, and the secretion system